ACECL members enjoy resources, benefits and access that non-members envy. That may be why Louisiana, despite being one of the smaller states when it comes to the number of engineering firms, has the ninth largest membership of all state ACEC member organizations. Your ACEC membership benefits your firm in a multitude of ways including:
- Legislative Advocacy, as ACECL’s staff and professional lobbyist monitors dozens of bills every year on issues that affect nearly every aspect of the engineering business and advocating on behalf of and protecting the interests of ACECL member firms. ACECL helped pass and rigorously supports the enforcement of the Hammett Act, which prohibits Louisiana government agencies from using price as a factor in procuring “design professional services.” Also, ACECL was instrumental in assisting in the writing and passage of the Construction Management at Risk (CMAR) delivery method of procuring engineering services on public projects.
ACECL also participates in legislative task forces, including panels that studied CMAR and other alternative methods and the recent Transportation Funding Task Force.
- Legal Advocacy, as ACECL’s General Counsel is a recognized expert on the Hammett Act and multiple legal issues that affect our member firms. All ACECL members have access to the expertise, advice and guidance which has a tremendous impact on our member’s profitability. ACECL provides legal intervention on issues important to our members, including public bid laws, professional standards, the ADA and proposed legislation.
- Public-Private Partnerships and Professional Involvement, as ACECL has a major voice in the public arena, and we use that voice to further our member firms’ interests. Recognizing the need to update state agencies contracting processing procedures, ACECL worked side-by-side with the DOTD on its process and are currently in talks for a similar partnership with CPRA and the Port of New Orleans.
In addition, ACECL literally has “a seat at the table” in many important venues, including the Facility Planning and Control Selection Board and selection boards in East Baton Rouge and Jefferson parishes.
- Education and Networking, through membership meetings, which provide forums for sharing ideas and experiences between company leaders and often lead to partnering between companies on major projects in the state. Also, professional development hours (PDH’s) can be earned at ACECL Chapter meetings and annual conventions and seminars.
- Cost-Effective Insurance offered through ACEC, which includes health, dental, disability, and life insurance as well as business insurance, retirement plans, and professional liability insurance. ACEC can save your company money by leveraging the group purchasing power of more than 2,000 firms and 350,000 employees to give member companies lower insurance rates. For more information on the ACEC Trusts visit: https://www.acec.org/trusts/
For other ACEC discount programs visit: https://www.acec.org/membership/discount-programs/
Contact Janet Tomeny at Jtomeny@acecl.org or call (225) 927-7704 for more details.