State Issues and Other Resources
Contracting Out Studies
- Engineering Design Costs: In-House versus Contracting-Out, F. H. (Bud) Griffis, Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Polytechnic Institute of New York University (August 2016).
- NYSDOT Engineering Design Costs: In-House versus Outsourced Design, F. H. (Bud) Griffis, Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Polytechnic Institute of New York University (October 2008).
- A National Assessment of Transportation Strategies and Practices: Lessons for California, Tom Warne and Associates (February 2008).
- Government Accountability Office survey and report on state trends, decision factors and cost comparisons in contracting out for engineering services, GAO-08-198 (January 2008).
- Cost to the Taxpayers of Obtaining Architectural and Engineering Services: State Employees vs. Private Consulting Firms, William G. Hamm, Ph.D. and Mark L. Rodini (April 2007).
- NCHRP Synthesis of Highway Practice 313: State DOT Outsourcing and Private-Sector Utilization, Thomas R. Warne for the Transportation Research Board, National Research Council (2003).
- Public/Private Partnerships — The FHWA website has extensive resources addressing principles, legislation, and regulations related to partnerships.
Professional Service Taxes
Transportation Infrastructure Funding
Bachelors’ Plus 30