October 5 – December 14, 2023
***To register, you must be signed into your own account. Contact Maureen Brown at email@example.com if you need assistance registering a colleague or a group.
How does an engineering firm survive and thrive in a business environment fraught with risk? Consulting engineers often are asked to navigate the competing interests of clients, subs, and insurance companies all while managing the risk of the firm with overall business performance.
The Essentials of Risk Management for Consulting Engineers is an eight-module online course offering you a deeper understanding of the fundamental elements of risk management, from contracts to the standard of care and everything in between. Designed specifically for ACEC, our faculty of experts will guide participants in managing project risk and share critical insights, tips, and tools they’ve learned from spending decades “in the trenches.”
This course is designed for consulting engineering firms of any size or discipline. Small and Medium size firms without in-house counsel or any formal risk management programs will find this program particularly useful.
Combining the convenience of on-demand learning and the immediacy and intensity of a live classroom, this 9-module, interactive course provides a cost-effective way to deepen your understanding of risk management to better protect your firm and yourself as a professional.
Participants can expect to spend about five hours each week split between:
- Recorded lectures
- Small group assignments and quizzes to test your understanding of the material
- Live, instructor-led discussions every Thursday from 1:30-2:30 PM Eastern where you’ll dive deeper into risk management and have the opportunity to ask questions.
- Module 1: Introduction to Risk Management and Course Overview
October 5, 2023, 1:30 – 2:30 PM
- Module 2: Professional Services Contracting – Part 1
October 12, 2023, 1:30 – 2:30 PM (Live Session 1)
October 19, 2023, 1:30 – 2:30 PM (Live Session 2)
- Module 3: Professional Services Contracting – Part 2
November 2, 2023, 1:30 – 2:30 PM
- Module 4: Managing Risk Posed by Subconsultants and Subcontractors
November 9, 2023, 1:30 – 2:30 PM
- Module 5: Spearin and the Standard of Care: How Good Does a Design Have to Be?
November 16, 2023, 1:30 – 2:30 PM
- Module 6: Engineers’ Business Insurance
November 30, 2023, 1:30 – 2:30 PM
- Module 7: Changes, Claims, and Disputes in Professional Services Contracts and Construction Contracts
December 7, 2023, 1:30 – 2:30 PM
- Module 8: Engineers’ Risk Management in Alternative Project Delivery
December 14, 2023, 1:30 – 2:30 PM
Click here to download a detailed course outline!
Course Leaders and Faculty Members:
- Jerry Cavaluzzi, Esq., Vice President, General Counsel and Chief Risk Officer, Kennedy/Jenks Consultants
- Kevin O’Beirne, PE, National Manager of Engineering Specifications, HDR; ACEC delegate to EJCDC
Additional Faculty Members:
- Hugh Anderson, Esq., Legal Counsel to EJCDC
- Jim Brown, PE, Vice President, Arcadis; ACEC delegate to EJCDC
- Peter Coote, PE, Esq., General Counsel, Pennoni
- Karen Erger, Esq., Senior Vice President and Director of Practice Risk Management, Lockton Companies
- Bruce Firkins, PE, LS, Senior Principal Engineer, Bolton & Menk; NSPE delegate to EJCDC
- Jim Lowe, Esq.,(BSCE.), Vice President and Senior Assistant General Counsel,AECOM
ACEC Members: $1045
Space is limited to 50 registrants.
This course takes place entirely online through recorded lectures and live discussions via Zoom.
Refunds, Credits, Substitutions, and Cancellations
For cancellations received at least 15 days prior to program date, ACEC will issue a full refund. For cancellations received between 14 days and 3 days prior to program date, ACEC will issue credits toward any ACEC online class, live or on-demand. Credits are valid for 6 months from issue date. For cancellations received 2 days or less before a program date, no refunds or credits will be issued. Refunds or credits will not be issued for “no-shows.” Registrants may choose another online class or substitute attendee/s without penalty at any time. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.