State Legislative Resource Center
State Issues and Other Resources
Contracting Out Studies
- NYSDOT Engineering Design Costs: In-House versus Outsourced Design, F. H. (Bud) Griffis, Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Polytechnic Institute of New York University (October 2008).
- A National Assessment of Transportation Strategies and Practices: Lessons for California, Tom Warne and Associates (February 2008).
- Government Accountability Office survey and report on state trends, decision factors and cost comparisons in contracting out for engineering services, GAO-08-198 (January 2008).
- Cost to the Taxpayers of Obtaining Architectural and Engineering Services: State Employees vs. Private Consulting Firms, William G. Hamm, Ph.D. and Mark L. Rodini (April 2007).
- NCHRP Synthesis of Highway Practice 313: State DOT Outsourcing and Private-Sector Utilization, Thomas R. Warne for the Transportation Research Board, National Research Council (2003).
Public/Private Partnerships — The FHWA website has extensive resources addressing principles, legislation, and regulations related to partnerships.
Professional Service Taxes
For more information, contact Katharine Mottley
Transportation Infrastructure Funding
Bachelors’ Plus 30
ACEC Minuteman Fund
ACEC Membership Organization Web Pages